Good morning to everyone! For me, it is especially good, because the whole yesterday evening I was preparing for you an unusual material about the jewelry fashion trend very alive since some years ago – the cuff earrings. And that’s not all! Today’s post is special for me, because apart from the fact that I searched, selected and assembled information for you as usual – I became a beginner jewelry designer. This is so exciting! Yesterday I created my own design for cuff earrings, and not just a usual cuff – these earrings also repeat the most fashionable shape of the season – a spiral hoop.
But first, let’s talk a little bit about the history of this jewelry and well-known brands that recreate it.
Saved from www.pinterest.com
Cuff earring – is a kind of adornment that you can wear even on non-pierced ears. The advantage of this type of jewelry in the fact that ear lobe doesn’t suffer under the weight of the decorative elements.
Cuff is one of the most ancient jewelry, the first of which was created in the Bronze Age. For the first time cuff earrings conquered the fashion world and appeared in the coolest boutiques in the 50s of the last century – in that times the most fashionable jewelry was a cuff, that enveloped the whole ear with flowers, stars and gems.
Back in those days there were three main types of the cuff:
- Padlocks (usually have a form shackle or a long chain of such jewelry doesn’t require puncturing the earlobe, as are suspended on the ear from the top): this type of cuff earrings is presented by Roberto Cavalli, Aminaka Wilmont, Manish Arora, Pamela Love, Repossi, ASOS, Dries Van Noten and Anni Jurgenson;
- Clip-rings (this type of cuff also doesn’t require puncturing the lobes and is attached to the curl of the ear by using a clamp-rings or clips): such type of cuff earrings is presented by Jason Wu, Rodarte, Moschino, ASOS, Elise Dray and Maria Black;
- Cuff hybrids (this jewelry represent a combination of cuff-rings with conventional stud earrings or hoop studs, with a necklace or hair adornments): this type of cuff earrings is presented by Anni Jurgenson, Cornelia Webb, ASOS, Thakoon, Mara Hoffman and Manish Arora.
The designers of the Jean Paul Gaultier brand created a sophisticated design of the cuff with a behind-mount, imitating ancient African piercing and tunnels.
Narciso Rodriguez created cuff-clips made from blackened metal with coarse large pendants.
Stella Jean has created a very current style of cuff earrings – in the shape of brightly colored birds.
Saved from www.yahoo.com
Well, we just can’t pass by Louis Vuitton and its minimalistic cuff with elements of the zodiac signs. Read more about this brand jewelry here:
The designers of the Christian Dior brand created the sets of gold cuff earrings, simulating punctures in different parts of the ear.
Saved from www.spottedfashion.com
Designers of Balenciaga brand crafted cuff kits with large pearls, continuing the 2015 trend of pearl jewelry.
Saved from thestoneset.com
Oscar De La Renta created especially standing out cuff earings in the shape of branches and also models with stars and black pearls.
In 2016 original hoop and cuff earrings are very relevant. While creating a massive jewelry for women’s ears designers use pendants in different colors, textures and sizes. Earrings should be massive, with mandatory stones and screaming bright colors. That’s why, for creating my own cuff earrings I chose the suspension in the form of long golden spikes, gold beads with colorful rhinestones and a spiral hoop shape.
Such big cuff earrings should be worn only on one’s ear, making asymmetrical styling, or picking up in the second ear a small stud earring with a stone in a suitable color.
To create such cuff earrings as I made, you will need: a meter of a wide black soft wire, two gold beads with colored rhinestones, two long golden spikes, two fixing golden pipes, pliers, circle molds of various sizes and a bit of inspiration. So, forth to creative experimentation! Click To Tweet
But a lot of designers have dared to represent miniature versions of cuff earrings:
- Anita Ko and her classic, studded with diamonds:Saved from www.lyst.com
- Hirotaka and Japanese exquisite blend of pearls and diamonds.Saved from vogue.ru
- Maria Tash: combining coarse spines with thin rings and the patina – with enamel and diamonds.Saved from vogue.ru
- Ana Khouri: pearls, emeralds, opals and diamonds in unusual rims.
5. Wwake– inspirational opals and asymmetry.
Saved from vogue.ru
6. Constructivist architecture and luxurious simplicity in silver by Monocraft.
Saved from vogue.ru
7. Grungy spikes and crosses with fine engraving and diamond pollen from Luv Aj.
I wish you a good Friday and a happy weekend – an inspiration for creation or selection your own perfect cuff earrings!